What are some of the new and exciting things & events coming in 2021, you ask??
We have 7 fun and exciting new things ranging from new guided outdoor tours to a new Route 66 addition and of course fun events and exhibits as well.
Check them out...We are excited to see you in Springfield in 2021!
1. Walk, Hike and Bike History Tour: Starting mid-March - mid November check out a brand new, free way to explore Springfield in 2021 being offered by IDNR's State Historic Sites in Springfield. Enjoy a series of inspiring outdoor experiences that will connect you to our must see museums and monuments. Guided experiences range from 1 -2 hours. If you wish to enjoy a longer tour, all you gotta do is ask. All experiences are limited to 9 people and follow all guidelines outlined by the Illinois Department of Public Health. Tours included Friends of Lincoln Hike, Military History Hike, African American History Hike, History Bike Tour, 1908 Race Riot Walking Tour and the Dana-Thomas House Exterior Tour. Want to learn more?? Visit their Facebook page here or the IDNR website by clicking here.
2. The World’s Largest Outdoor Route 66 Shield: Even though it was installed in August 2020, we know 2021 is going to be the year our visitors really get to enjoy this huge shield!! Add this must see stop to your itinerary when you visit Springfield this year. Ohh...don't forget to take a pic and share with us by using #visitspringfield. We can't wait to see your experiences! More info, click here.
3. State of Sound Exhibit: Starting April 30 - January 23, 2022, you can enjoy the world of music from the Land of Lincoln while walking through this 3,000 square foot exhibit at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum. More info, click here.
4. Beacon of Endurance Sculpture: The newest edition to the collection of Springfield sculptures, this obelisk will be embossed with famous Abraham Lincoln quotes. At night, view the words as the are projected onto the Presidential Museum’s southeast corner wall.
5. Lincoln’s Life in Letters: This exhibit, hosted by the Presidential Library, will feature 10 facsimiles of letters from ALPLM’s collection. All which are curated and interpreted to help illuminate significant milestones in Lincoln’s life.
6. Let's Look & Walk on the Wild Side: Cats of Illinois Past & Present Exhibits: Check out these two new exhibits coming to the Illinois State Museum. First one is Let’s Look, this exhibit invites children and adults to look closely and talk about art. The artwork in this exhibit includes paintings, prints, and sculpture selected with children ages 8 -10 years in mind. Next one is Walk on the Wild Side: Cats of Illinois Past and Present. This exhibit features fossils and casts of some of the largest cat species to roam North America. Visitors will see representatives of modern cat species and learn about their recent history in Illinois, including the domestic cat which has spread over the world from its origins in the Midwest.
7. 2020 Rescheduled Events: Old Capitol Art Fair, PrideFest & Springfield Mile in May, International Carillon Festival in June, Independence Day Fireworks Celebration, Levitt AMP Springfield Music Fest, Abe Fest, Downhome Music Fest in July, Powerlight Abe Lincoln Car Show Spectacular & Super Cruise & Illinois State Fair in August, Springfield Beer & Oyster Festival in September, Fat Ass 5K & Street Party & Lincoln Memorial Gardens Fall Harvest in October, and so much more! Don't miss the International Route 66 Mother Road Festival as the celebrate their 20th Anniversary in downtown Springfield. Check out our Events page for updates on these events and more by clicking here
Fun Award Received: The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum was recently awarded TripAdvisors Travelers’ Choice award, ranking them in the Top 10% of all museums worldwide. For all of our foodie folks out there, Vele celebrated not only opening in a new location but also receiving the TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Award putting them in the Top 10% of restaurants worldwide.
Follow us on Facebook & Instagram
Share your experiences with us...#visitspringfield